Discover Your Own Backyard!
Our Ambassador workshop weaves together people, place, history, and culture. Ambassador is a three-hour workshop that delves into the history, special people and places, key industries and significant milestones that have collectively shaped a region into what it is today. Specifically designed for people who interact with manuhiri (visitors), our primary goal is to cultivate a welcoming host community and empower local storytellers who can genuinely connect with people, while embodying the core values of manaakitanga (hospitality) and kaitiakitanga (guardianship), values deeply embed in our New Zealand culture.
Ambassadors are encouraged to cultivate a sense of pride and enthusiasm that they can share with our manuhiri. By equipping participants with essential knowledge and captivating stories, our aim is to elevate the visitor industry to new heights and ensure that guests have an unparalleled experience, gaining insight into a region and its myriad of remarkable and unique offerings.
Ambassador Workshop Outcomes:
- Discuss the history and pakiwaitara (local stories) of the region and their contribution to its unique identity.
- Identify key people and places that have shaped the region into what it is today.
- Identify key milestones in region’s tourism industry and economy.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of creating a positive visitor experience, including the use of manaakitanga, kaitiakitanga and whanaungatanga.
- Develop skills and tools for connecting and communicating with people from different cultures and communities and learn how to effectively share these stories with visitors.
- Apply strategies for creating a welcoming environment for visitors that enhances the visitor experience and contributes to a better host community.
- Find your regional workshop
- Fill out the application form
- Make the payment
- See you there!