Shaun Olsen has recently graduated with a Bachelor in Business (Accounting) after just 7-months further study from QRC! Finishing up his Diploma in Hospitality Management in September 2021, he jumped the ditch to Australia’s ICMS (International College of Management, Sydney) to complete his Bachelors Degree. Read more about his journey to ICMS post QRC, for more information about our Degree Pathways and articulation agreements click here.
Why did you choose to follow a career in tourism/hospitality?
- I have always loved travel and what it can do for people bringing them together and sharing the special moments together and being apart of that process is so rewarding especially when you get to meet people from around the world.
Why did you choose QRC?
- I chose QRC because of the wide variety of connections and partnerships they have and the opportunities that they offer to their students.
Where was your internship and what was the biggest “take away” from your internship experience?
- I did my internship at the Hotel Britomart in Auckland. Smile and wave. You never know who anyone is and what they can potentially offer you, I was lucky enough to be offered a job in Queenstown for my final terms of study which then lead to a graduate job in Sydney.
Tell me about your journey since leaving QRC.
- Since leaving QRC I have been able to grow within my industry from managing a restaurant/bar to moving across the ditch to further my education and working within hospitality in Australia.
Why did you choose ICMS over other Universities?
- The teaching style is very similar to QRC learning style including small classes and lectures know your names! As well as the connections with businesses around the globe ICMS can assist in finding employment in a range of fields.
What are you studying and how much further study is required since graduating QRC?
- I am currently in my second and final trimester of a bachelor in business (accounting). After graduating QRC in September 2021 I then commenced my studies at ICMS in February 2022 and Graduated with my degree in August 2022. It only takes 7 months because of the high standard of teaching QRC does.
What’s involved with being an ICMS Ambassador?
- Sharing my experience studying at ICMS through the lens of an accounting student. Attending events held throughout the trimester and capture what it is like inside and outside the classroom at ICMS from attending the welcome cocktail party to a behind the scenes tour of Vivid Sydney.
What advice would you give to QRC students about to graduate or go on internship?
- Live with no regrets only lessons and be yourself.