Ruby and Jess are like two peas in a pod. They’ve both gone up to Waiheke Island to complete their internship with Mudbrick Vineyard within the Front of House department as servers and have experienced so many new things so far! Daily beach swims, wine tasting, amazing work environment and the tight knit community are just a few of their high lights!
“We were living in a Backpackers Hostel for the first two months which is extremely out of our comfort zones, but it was probably the most rewarding experience we’ve ever had!”
Where are your doing your internship and what is your role?
- We’re Jess and Ruby and we’re completing our internship at Mudbrick Vineyard on the beautiful Waiheke Island, both working in front of house as servers. Jess works in the Archive Bar and Bistro and I (Ruby) work in the Mudbrick Restaurant.
What does a day in the life of Jess & Ruby on internship look like?
- During the Summer we were hitting the beach every single day and exploring the island whenever we got the chance. This includes cliff jumping, wine tasting, hiking and so much more! It’s a very small island and community so you get to know the locals and make friends quickly.
- While on shift, we greet and serve customers with the most beautiful views behind us and get to interact with people who have come travelling from all over the world. We both work alongside the most amazing team which makes everyday enjoyable!
What has been a high light of internship so far?
- There has been so many high lights on our internship already, but probably our best one is meeting so many new people, all ages and from different countries and cultures. Which has been super special and overall it has just been an amazing time so far.
How did the internship managers help with your placement?
- Adam and KP were both very helpful with out placement. They knew we both were very interested in working at Mudbrick. so they organised our mock-interviews to be with Mudbrick which was awesome and made the whole process super easy.
What tips would you give students about to go out on internship?
- Go for the one you want! If you are excited about it, you will enjoy it and if you enjoy it you will learn and get the most out of it! Also ask the terms above who are on internship or have already finished their internship to get all the info about work environments, accommodation and the lifestyles in different places.
- Another thing, don’t let the lack of accommodation scare you! We were living in a backpackers hostel for the first 2 months of our internship, which is extremely out of our comfort zones, but it was possibly the most rewarding experience. It felt like a very big family, and now we have many friends from all over the world. It was a very loud environment but it was also the most fun and welcoming. The perfect way to start off our time on the island!