A fully paid 9-month internship on Waiheke Island? Why not! Hospitality Management student Ruben is out there doing it and loving every moment of it. Working within the Front of House team with Stonyridge Vineyard he’s already learnt a lot met some awesome people.
Where are you doing your internship?
- I work in the Front of House at Stonyridge Vineyard (Bartender, Waiter, Host, Runner)
What does a day in the life of Ruben on internship look like?
- On a typical day I’ll get to work at 9am, as a team we set up the entire restaurant so everything’s ready for service to start at 11:30am, at 11:00 when everything is set up we sit down together and have a briefing, followed by a staff lunch made by our lovely chefs! Service runs from 11:30am-5:00pm, after that we’ll reset the restaurant and bar, then often a few of us staff will stay afterwards to have a drink and unwind on our yoga deck!
What has been a highlight of internship so far?
- The biggest highlight of my internship are my coworkers, we all get along really well and it has a nice family vibe when we’re all together. I’ve never experienced a better team or a more positive work environment than Stonyridge.
How did the internship managers help with your internship placement?
- Adam and KP definitely helped reassure me of my decision when I was having doubts about where to go for my internship. Adam really taught me to trust the process and to make the most out of my opportunity and I’m so glad I committed to Stonyridge because I’ve grown so much as a person and met some really amazing people
What advice would you give to students looking for their dream internship?
- My advice is to make the most out of your internship. You’re there for 9 months and you’re there to learn, so use this opportunity to learn as much as you can! Definitely don’t be afraid to talk to your managers about what you want to get out of your internship, and don’t be afraid to reach out to your internship manager at QRC as they can provide valuable support and advice when needed.