Wondering where our Machine Learning Fundamentals course could take you? 👩💻👾 Jake has been working his way through the course over 16 weeks and is starting a new role as Logistics Coordinator for a local company, where he will be working within the finance team to do financial modelling for company expansion and more!
- I originally moved to NZ 10 years ago from England. After 8 years of sponsorship visas working in some beautiful remote locations across NZ as a chef, I finally got my Residence Visa in 2021. This opened up the opportunity to study as a domestic student and as a result of that, start the process of changing career paths.
Why did he want to study Machine Learning?
- I was looking for a change in careers and as everyones knows, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence are everywhere in the news and across social media at the moment. I saw that QRC was going to be offering an introductory course and I thought I would be crazy to pass it up. After a phone interview, and later a coffee, with course tutor Pradeesh. I knew I was in capable hands!
Did he have any tech experience before the course started?
- Absolutely none! I even had to purchase a laptop for the course as I didn’t own one previously. Pradeesh and the other tutors throughout the course started out with the bare basics to ensure a great level of understanding before getting into the more technical stuff. The regular in class quizzes made sure everyone in class was learning at the same speed as one another and if there were any gaps in knowledge, they could be covered again.
What’s been a highlight?
- Going from zero knowledge of coding to creating code like this:
- That makes visualisations like this:
What’s a great project he worked on?
- I really enjoyed working on our final group presentation, we had to create a company and an AI assisted piece of technology that they would release. We had to cover the ethics of the product, how it could be released to the public and if it was a product that could benefit all users.
Where is it taking you to now?
- I am excited to be starting a new position as Logistics Coordinator for a local company where I’ll be working within the finance team to do some financial modeling for company expansion, using inventory programs to streamline processes, and communicating across all departments to ensure efficiency through stock management.