Tell us a wee bit about yourself and what is your background? (Were you already into tech or not)
- Hi my name is Jaimee. Originally from Wellington, my family and I relocated to Queenstown in 2020. I have a bachelor’s degree in Business Management and Commercial Law. Over the past 13 years, I have been working in the engineering, civil and construction sectors, doing project management, business management and more recently business consulting. Currently, I co-own an inspection company with my husband and am in the early stages of launching a tech start-up.
Why did you decide you wanted to get into technology?
- My interest in technology stems from its boundless potential and opportunities, especially with the recent breakthroughs in AI and its impacts on how we do business. I’ve always been interested in entrepreneurship and the current technological landscape makes it easier than ever to materialise innovative ideas.
Why did you decide the Machine Learning Fundamentals course was the right course for you?
- Despite my initial limited understanding of machine learning and not coming from a technology background, I recognised its importance with staying ahead in business. The decision to enrol came after discovering the course online, the flexible hours that worked around other commitments and then speaking with the lead course teacher Pradeesh. This course altered my view of technology, AI and machine learning, paving the way for a career shift out of consulting and into the tech industry.
What did you enjoy most about the course?
- Everything! – I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to challenge themselves, keep up with advancements in technology and learn something new. I particularly enjoyed learning to code, understanding the complexities of datasets, biases and machine learning models and delving into the ethical aspects of Responsible AI. The opportunity to connect with like-minded students and teachers in person was equally rewarding.
What are your plans post studying and where do you see yourself using machine learning/tech in the future?
- Shortly after completing the course, I participated in a start-up Queenstown weekend with a fellow student, where we integrated our machine learning knowledge into a business concept, earning us second place. This achievement and the knowledge gained from Machine Learning Fundamentals course has given me the confidence to establish a tech start-up that will utilise machine learning in its operations.