- Level 5
- 16 Weeks
- Intakes in April, August
There is an acute worldwide shortage of machine learning experts and intense international competition for talent. Machine learning is the highest demand growth tech skillset globally
This Certificate in Machine Learning Fundamentals will take students with no prior experience to a stage where they have the skills to be industry-ready upon graduation.
Machine Learning (ML) is the process of building, and using, predictive models. Artificial Intelligence (AI) is the software that surrounds these predictive models while in use, allowing software applications to become more accurate at predicting outcomes.
The qualification will focus on the foundations of machine learning including:
- Types of machine learning algorithms including supervised and unsupervised learning
- Regression and Classification techniques for machine learning applications
- Using existing machine learning libraries to generate predictions
- Constructing and documenting datasets
- Understanding and applying Responsible AI and business ethics to machine learning systems
- Applying and improving deep learning systems
Who is this course for?
- School leavers – high school students interested in technology
- University students / Up Skillers – those looking to add to their skillset
- Career changers – those wanting to get into a new industry
Programme at a glance
16 Weeks | Level 5 | Credits: 60
Qualification: Certificate in Machine Learning Fundamentals (Level 5) (Micro-credential)
Delivered at our: Queenstown Campus
This Certificate is made up of three micro-credentials: Machine Learning Fundamentals, Responsible AI and Machine Learning Team Project
Machine Learning Fundamentals | 40 Credits.
- Introduction to Machine Learning
- Predicting Unknown Values with Machine Learning Models
- Constructing and documenting datasets
- Responsible AI and Business Ethics
- Introduction to Deep Learning
Responsible AI | 10 Credits.
- The components of Responsible AI that are relevant to contemporary scenarios
- Distinguishing uses and end users of AI systems
- Using ethics to inspect aspects of datasets
- Comparing the different roles that are responsible and accountable for an AI system
- An ethical evaluation of an AI system
Machine Learning Team Project | 10 Credits.
- Understanding the relationship of Machine Learning with Responsible AI and business ethics
- Collaborating, problem solving, and communicating in teams to improve machine learning systems
- Presenting findings and results of machine learning systems to internal stakeholders
To be eligible for entry, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 17 years of age at course commencement
- All applicants will require a pre-course discussion with the Academic Director to align suitability
- International Students: IELTS score of at least 5.5 with no band score lower than 5.0 or equivalent
Entering into Industry: Aligning supply & demand
This micro credential is in response to a united industry voice that is facing demand for entry level machine learning operators for current and
future work streams across key businesses both domestically and globally.
The focus is on developing a tech eco system in which entry level machine learning operators can understand and apply the fundamentals of machine learning to solve business tasks.
However, “a lack of people skills” has been identified as a problem within the industry. For machine learning and AI employers, “soft skills are seen as very important to critically important”, especially in client-facing industries. These soft skills facilitate responsible AI, as they promote empathy and understanding others lived experiences.
This qualification teaches the necessary machine learning and AI skills, along with the equally important soft skills.
|2023 Domestic Tuition Fees|
|Certificate in Machine Learning Fundamentals (60 Credits)||$3,200|
|2023 International Tuition Fees||International|
|Certificate in Machine Learning Fundamentals (60 Credits)||$9,000|
|November 2022||21st November - 16th December 2022
17th December 2022 - 8th January 2023 Christmas Break
9th January - 17th February 2023
20th February - 24th February 2023 - Recess
27th February - 6th April 2023
|April 2023||11th April - 16th June 2023
19th June - 23rd June 2023 Recess
26th June - 4th August
|August 2023||21st August - 27th October 2023
30th October - 3rd November 2023 Recess
6th November - 15th December 2023
In the News
Supervised vs Unsupervised Learning:
Broadly speaking, you can put most machine learning algorithms into one of two categories – supervised vs unsupervised. If you realise that you need to use machine learning to solve a problem, you will need to determine what kind of method you will use.
Finding the dream job:
Machine Learning is technology that lets a computer get smarter and smarter all by itself just by looking at data.