From QRC to MasterChef NZ, Dylan Fernandes has worked his way into the top 27 on The TV Three show. Always a fan of the Tourism & Hospitality industry, he knew he wanted to be involved in anyway he could. Find out below how he worked his way through our Hospitality Management Diploma to starring on MasterChef.
- Why did you choose the tourism & hospitality industry? I love working with people and would definitely call myself a people person. In the industry you are able to create and share memories which I think is special.
- When did you study and graduate from QRC? I started in July 2019 and graduated in March 2021
- Where did you do your internship and what was your biggest takeaway from your internship experience? I did my internship in Melbourne at a hotel called The Larwill Studios. It was an awesome hotel and the people were great! The biggest takeaway is don’t take everything for granted and roll with the punches because it can lead to greater things! Sadly my internship was cut short because of Covid-19.
- What role are you in now and what are your main responsibilities? Recently I moved to sales, working as a Territory Manager for a global company. I travel around the North Island looking after my clients and promoting/selling products.
- How did you end up in the top 27 on Master Chef NZ? I applied more as a joke; I was with friends having a BBQ where I made my application video. Next thing I know I was going through various interviews stages and I got the call saying I made it in! It was quite surreal knowing that out of the thousands that applied I made it to the top 27!
- What are you most looking forward to while on the show? The opportunities! I have already made good contacts and I can’t wait to expand that!
- What advice would you give to QRC Students about to graduate or go on internship? Take any opportunity you can and always maintain good relationships with your industry contacts e.g. past employers. Because in the end you never know who can help you achieve greater things.
Follow Dylan’s MasterChef journey here.