Maddie has always loved tourism and jet boating and on a family holiday when she was younger KJet got her hooked on the idea that Adventure Tourism was for her! Working her way through different departments and learning as much as she could through Hanmer Springs Attractions she’s landed her dream role as a Jet Boat driver. Check out her epic story on how she got to where she is today!
Why did you choose to study Adventure Tourism Management?
- When I was 12 I went jet boating with my family at K Jet and I was amazed people did such an amazing job. From there I did programmes to get me into a role outdoors in tourism and I ultimately decided that a management course would be the best option with the most growth.
Why did you choose to study with QRC?
- I was told about QRC in school and insisted my tourism class do a famil there. Once I had seen it there was no question as to location and course quality.
Where did you do your internship, what was your role there and what was something you learnt on internship?
- I did my internship with a horse trekking company in Waipu just south of Whangarei. I was a guide alongside a friend from QRC. We took daily treks on Uretiti beach and daily care of the horses.
Tell me about your journey post QRC – Where have you worked, travelled, studied? What have you been doing since QRC?
- Since leaving QRC I have lived in many places around the South Island. For a couple of years I worked as tour bus driver which was great fun.
Where are you working now?
- I currently work at Hanmer Springs Attractions as a guide/jet boat driver. I started at Hanmer Springs Attractions as a customer service rep and I was fortunate enough to be put through rafting qualifications and jet boat licensing at work and trained in everything.
- We are a small team that share running our activities daily and keeping up with maintenance. The activities we run are Jet Boat, Bungy, Quad bikes and Buggies, paintball, and rafting. Responsibilities include daily vehicle checks, taking different trips, quad track and general maintenance as well as helping in reception/cafe when it’s busy.
- The highlight of working at HSA is the team I work with. We are a small close knit team that enjoy working with each other and enjoy the work we do.
Any advice for students looking to study with QRC?
- Don’t give up on a job you think is out of reach. I never thought I would be able to be a Jet Boat driver. I started as a customer service rep and made it very known to the company I wanted to go further. While in customer service I looked into raft courses, learnt different activities that I could do without qualification, learnt raft knots from other staff. Eventually the company put myself and another on a raft course when time permitted and during that they offered me a jet boat driver customer. It’s also a good option to look into further qualifications in outdoor activities to fast track it if that is what you’re after.
Any exciting plans for the future?
- For now I want to build up hours on all my activities and spend more time understanding the operational side of the business.
Any advice you have for the current QRC students?
- Find work that you enjoy and with good people. It makes work something to look forward to.