After graduating with his Diploma in Adventure Tourism Management, Josh Rae decided to chase the snow and travel bug to Whistler, Canada. Currently he is working for Whistler Blackcomb as a Lift Operator where he is planning on doing two seasons there before heading to Japan! Originally from Dargaville, Josh always knew he wanted to travel the world and has found Canada the perfect place to start!
Why did you choose to study Adventure Tourism Management?
- I chose to study Adventure Tourism Management because I had a passion for customer service and wanted to see where the tourism industry could take me.
How was the move from Dargaville to Queenstown?
- When I first moved from Dargaville to Queenstown I found it quite scary at first, but making friends and the support from QRC made me feel at home right away, now I call Queenstown my second home!
Why did you choose to study with QRC?
- I chose to study with QRC because I have a passion for the tourism industry and QRC is a great pathway into the industry with the amazing contacts the have and the opportunities they provide.
Where did you do your internship and what was a highlight of your internship?
- I did my internship with AJ Hackett Bungy NZ at their Auckland Sky Tower site where I worked as a base operator. This role primarily focused on setting up the customer for their jump with putting on harnesses, giving safety briefings and general instructions. I was there for 9-months and loved every minute of it!
Tell us about your journey since graduating with a Diploma in Adventure Tourism Management.
- Since graduating from QRC I worked hard to save money to travel the world and in November 2022 I moved to Whistler, Canada to do the ski season here. it is absolutely amazing and I’m stoked to be here!
Where are you working now and what are your main responsibilities?
- Currently I work for Whistler Blackcomb Ski Field as a lift operator. The main responsibilities of my job is to set the lift station up every morning before guests arrive and operate the lift during the day to make sure guests are safe while using the lift. The highlight of my job is getting to talk to so many different people from all over the world and I absolutely love this!
Why did you choose to travel to Canada?
- I chose Canada because my dream since I was young was to travel the world and I can’t believe I am finally doing it. Canada has been the perfect place to start my travels. I want to stay for another season at Whistler Blackcomb then do a season in Japan.
Any advice for those looking to study at QRC?
- My advice to future students is to take every opportunity available at QRC because it is a once in a life time experience that you won’t do again and you’ll make memories that will last a life time!