Hollie has been obsessed with travelling for a long time, studying tourism and hospitality was the perfect opportunity for her to tick off things on her travel bucket list. She’s been in the USA for over 6-month snow and is loving every minute of it. Working for a Resort located right on the beach front with office views like you’ve never seen before. Read on for more of Hollies journey.
Why did you choose to follow a career in tourism and hospitality?
- I thought it was the perfect job to do as I have a huge passion for travelling and wanting to make new connections globally!
Why did you choose to study at QRC?
- I liked the idea of only studying for 6-months then getting paid to work 9-months on internship then finishing off with 6-months of study. I was never big on school but I saw this opportunity as the perfect fit for me.
What was a high-light of your QRC days?
- Definitely making friends who share a similar passion, and getting the learning experience I need to begin in this industry. My favourite classes were definitely event planning and I always looked forward to accounting!
Where did you do your internship and what was your biggest takeaway from the internship?
- I did my internships at the InterContinental Hotel in Wellington. I spent 6-months in housekeeping then I moved to Front Desk Agent for my final 3-months. I thought it was super beneficial to begin as a housekeeper as I learned the hotel inside out, I then had the knowledge when I became an agent. Doing my internship here really helped to set me up to where I am today and I am super thankful for the experience I had.
- Make it known as to what you want to do, make yourself stand out and you will for sure be seen. If you’re not happy in a role, charge it, life is too short to be in a job you don’t like, so speak up and follow your passion.
Run us through your journey since finishing QRC.
- I’m currently working at The Blockade Runner Beach Resort out on Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, USA. I work as a front desk agent, and I am a senior staff member and when needed I fill in as supervisor. I love that I get to come out to the beach everyday, it really reminds me of home!
- A day in my life currently looks like waking up for work at 7am-3pm, sometimes I will stay out at the beach after work and go for a walk or run, or I’ll head down to the local bars for an after work drink or I’ll go home and paint the beer pong table 😉
What are your main responsibilities at work?
- Interacting with guests on the daily, check people in and out of their rooms, I am the main point of communication so its important we communicate with other departments accordingly, we are the face of the hotel and the guests first interaction so we make sure that we set the standard and go the extra mile when interacting.
How have you found working internationally?
- I am ABSOLUTELY LOVING IT! I feel very at home, it is 100% the best thing I’ve done. Working internationally has allowed me to tick so many places off my travel bucket list. Before work I went to Nashville for a week, then Florida, Miami & Key West which has always been one of my favourite places! I also had my very first white Christmas up in Vermont then I spent New Years Eve in Times Square! Working internationally has definitely opened up a lot more doors for me, and I have been able to make connections everywhere I go.
What advice would you give to those about to study, go on internship or graduate?
- My advice would be to just follow your passion, don’t let the little things stop you from doing things you want to do. 9 times out of 10 it will be the best thing that will happen. Put your head down & do the work then enjoy the rewards afterwards. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
Challenge yourself and set goals that you hope to achieve. To every obstacle is a solution. Worry less about the “what ifs” and instead just do it!